Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Korean Spicy Fish Stew - Daegu Maeuntang



Korean fish stew(Maeuntang) is a savory, spicy stew with lots of veggies, fish and lots of spice. So it is my absolute favorite comfort food as well as Korean Chicken Soup (Samgyetang).
When I feel sick with a cold, the spices in this stew are like a natural remedy for me.  It clears up my sinuses and I feel my body coming back to life with energy.  I think spices also fight viruses, so it's anti-cold!
I like a delicate stew made with cod fish (Daegu), because I like its subtle deep flavor - cod fish has a mild flavor and white, flaky flesh.  So it is a very popular choice for Korean fish stew.
Also, it will be a great thing to eat after walking in the cold rain - chilly weather and spicy stew are good harmony. I love it!
And don't be scared of the spicy taste. If you eat Kimchi, you can eat spicy Maeuntang. Don't worry about it. 

For a minutes, let me explain 'Daegu Maeuntang'. 

'Maeuntang' is, as one might say, 'Maeun' means spicy and 'tang' means stew in Korean.
And 'Daegu' means big mouth, in other words 'Daegu Maeuntang' is big mouth fish stew. So Funny!
Enjoy the big mouth fish stew  :-)


(Fish stew is in the Le Creuset warming dish)

How to make it?  (I used cod instead of red snapper)

Click!      http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/maeuntang


***



No comments:

Post a Comment