Friday, May 27, 2016

Bowl of Rice with Tofu




I am trying to cut down my intake of carbohydrates - I increased the protein in my daily diet.
I may look to tofu, nuts, seeds, lentils, and soy foods to meet my daily protein intake.
A bowl of rice with tofu is a popular Chinese dish with tofu cubes that are braised in a special sauce. The special sauce is typically called doubanjiang. But I don't have it.
So I recreated it. I sometimes use a combination of doenjang (Korean soybean paste), gochugaru (Korean chili pepper powder), and gochujang (Korean red chili pepper paste). It tastes delicious!
Don't be a piggy. 

Ingredients
1/2 package     Tofu
1 C                  ground beef
1/2                   zucchini
1/2                   onion
2 t                    minced jalapeno
1.5 T                Korean soybean paste
1/2 T                Korean chili pepper powder
1 t                    sugar
1-2 t                 minced garlic
3 T                   minced green onions
1 C                   anchovy broth
Korean chives (buchu), to taste

Directions
Cut tofu, zucchini and onions into 1 inch squares.
Stir fry Korean soybean paste, Korean chili pepper powder, minced garlic, minced green onions, minced jalapeno, onions and zucchini in a pan.
Add ground beef and anchovy broth and boil for 10 minutes until the liquid has reduced by half. 
If you like sprinkle with fresh Korean chives.
Serve with steamed rice.



***



No comments:

Post a Comment