Saturday, September 30, 2017

Kimbab


Kimbab is one of my favorite Korean foods.  Kim means seaweed and bab means rice. The rice is lightly seasoned with sesame oil and salt and the fillings are seasoned and cooked, an interesting combination of textures and flavors.
I have good memories about Kimbab. When I was young, going hiking and picnicking from school, my mother always woke up early and made kimbab for my lunch box. I remember that I would wake up to the sound of my mother's cooking and making kimbab and the smell of sesame oil. 
This time I changed the fillings. I used pickled cucumber, carrot, egg and spinach.

Refer to here...
http://aeriskitchen.com/2008/11/beef-kimbap-%EC%87%A0%EA%B3%A0%EA%B8%B0-%EA%B9%80%EB%B0%A5/

How to make pickled cucumbers?
Wash 4 Persian cucumbers and cut horizontally into four strips and sprinkle with 2 t salt and  1 t sugar and set aside for 30 minutes.
Squeeze them set aside.

Carrot
Peel 1/2 lb carrots and julienne and stir fry with olive oil and salt.

Spinach
Wash 2 lb spinach and blanch in boiling water about 10 seconds to soften and rinse with cold water.
Drain and squeeze slightly and season with salt, soy sauce, minced garlic and sesame oil to taste.

Eggs
Crack 5 eggs in a bowl and beat with salt and cooking wine to taste.
Drop 1 t cooking oil on a heated pan and wipe off excess with paper towel and pour in the egg mixture and spread in the pan on medium heat.
Wait until bottom of egg is cooked and firm.
Begin rolling egg with spatula and press down slightly each side and cool.
Cut horizontally into long strips.

***






No comments:

Post a Comment